- This event has passed.
Ukulele Thursdays in Wayne ~ Come Strum (& Sing!)
May 16 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
~ PLAY UKES & SING the world’s GREAT SONGS with us
Every Thursday, 6:00-8:00 PM (except holidays)
after hours at the Wayne Senior Center.
ALL SKILL LEVELS
Beginner to intermediate & those with expertise are welcome!
Share what you know, we love to learn!
Beginner-friendly; we were all beginners once!
You will have more fun knowing a few basic (and easy!) chords like C, F, G7. One-finger/one-string chords: C, Am, A7 & C7. Or play the “Z” chord all evening and get used to strumming in time: (Lay your index finger lightly across all strings to mute them. Strum!)
AGES: We welcome players late high school to bon vivant retirees.
Ukulele: easy to get started and a lifetime to master! And so much FUN!
MUSIC: All Genres & Eras
(well, not much hip-hop or rap, so far)
Pop, Rock, Show Tunes, Classical, Tin Pan Alley, Country, Standards, Irish Songs, Blues, Sea Shanties, Folk, Gospel, Hawaiian, Jazz & Holiday. Traditional to current hits. Variety adds pizzazz!
~ ~ ~
– Uke, Music Stand & the songbook or song sheets for the evening.
Please check during the week for updates and for the very rare cancellation/venue change; the songbook or song sheets to print out/download to your device.
– $1-$2 pp room use fee.
(If you don’t have the Daily Uke or music stand yet, we share.
No ukulele? Let us know in advance so we can bring one for you to play.)
– Songs You Bring:
20 Copies of each song you bring. Copies returned to you if you wish.
— OR — send Linda/post here the song sheet link or attachment. Message Linda via Meetup.
Please play the song version through first to ‘vet’ it. Does it sound true? Chords in the right spots? – Or suggest a song and we will help you find a song sheet.
Players have shared many wonderful songs.
Youtube links of the artist/group’s verion you have in mind are added to our weekly audio tracks/YouTube video Playlist.
EVERY TYPE OF UKULELE welcome!
Baritone players: be able to play along with us (we play in C tuning (GCEA), with capo or a chord conversion chart, (unless you can convert chords on the fly.)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
A TYPICAL EVENING
often goes like this:
– 5:35-ish: SET UP & Socialiazing
– 6:00 Play approx. 10 songs: “The Daily Ukulele,”books. It helps the evening’s flow if you come prepared with a pre-picked (and ‘vetted’), to call out as the next song as we go ’round the circle.
– Songs You Bring To Share (20 copies, please.)
– Upcoming events
– ‘OPEN MIC’: we love to hear what you’ve been working on! If playing for an audience is new to you, practice on us! We’re laid back, encouraging & supportive!
– Brief Break
– SONG SETS/SONGBOOK (PRINT or Download to your tablet)
8:00 Breakdown. Swift Pack up Appreciated!
8:10 Lock Up
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Use the front door.
Look for the long awning covering the entrance walkway.
(Wayne Senior Center fronts Station Road, facing the Wayne Paoli/Thorndale Train platform.)
(Rear of bldg. borders the NW corner of the main municipal parking lot.)
<6:00 PM, pay at kiosks for street parking & municipal lots.
$0.25 = 1/2 hour. Numbered parking spaces.
FREE after 6:00 pm
– Wayne MAIN MUNICIPAL LOT off North Wayne Ave. (see map.)
– SMALLER LOTS: Drive through main lot. Right onto side street Waynewood Ave.; Left into small lots across from Paramour Restaurant.
– STREET PARKING: North Wayne Ave/West Ave/Louella Ct./ & Lancaster Ave.
Note: SEPTA lot spaces & spaces in front of Wayne Senior Center are not free after 6pm.
Parking & Kiosk Payment details & map: http://www.radnor.com/568/Parking-Map-and-Kiosk-Information
~ ~ ~ ~
We are grateful to The Wayne Senior Center for granting us use of their building “after hours” –and for this wonderful opportunity to give back to them the community! We look forward to this wonderful new pairing!
(The Wayne Senior Center (http://wayneseniorcenter.com/) is a daytime activities center that holds classes for many interests.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ Grab That Uke / Come Sing-along ! ~